Tuesday 22 February 2011

A Typical Day in the Life of an AfID Volunteer!

AfID (Accounting for International Development) is the organisation that placed me out here. Neil Jennings, its founder, was insistent that I provide a realistic reflection of the true glamour of life as a volunteer.

A typical day sees me rise at 4 a.m., ready to start work promptly an hour later……Should I have I mentioned that the above is British time…….Uganda fortunately is 3 hours ahead!

I must admit that office life is somewhat different to that back home……

Open-Plan Office - Ugandan Style!
 
But what exactly am I doing here on a day-to day basis? Quite honestly, the nature of my own work is no different to that given to my own client businesses at home.

After two weeks here, I remain fully convinced and committed as to my two main objectives. Firstly, I am supporting the charity’s Finance Team to develop their systems and their own personal skills (“Capacity Building” being their own phraseology). Secondly, and most importantly, by providing greater confidence that funds are effectively “hitting the intended causes”, this should support the continuity of ongoing funding from donors.

The World today has so many worthy charitable causes, and as such, there is inevitably considerable competition in the Charity Sector. Coupled with the current economic climate, the extent of funding from the general public, especially in Western countries, would undoubtedly have been squeezed in recent times.

Hence, the importance of retaining good relationships with established donors.


Back to my “typical” day…..

After breakfast, a driver from Comboni (George) takes me to their offices, a journey of around 1 mile through a village and along much-eroded dust tracks. At the moment, everything is dry, but I can imagine how these roads deteriorate when the rains come!


Comboni has its own compound which accommodates the various offices for its “front-line” activities, a women’s co-operative and of course, its Finance team and Management.

Tea and a snack are delivered from the compound kitchen mid-morning, and a good meal is provided at lunchtime. The day finishes strictly at 5 p.m., when I am generally kicked out the offices. This always seems somewhat alien to my usual approach to work, where the timing is somewhat more flexible!

The Comboni Samaritans Main Administration Building

Ah yes, what about the actual work?..............

I do not intend to go into great detail about my work. Firstly, I do not wish to breach confidentiality, and, secondly, it wouldn’t make great reading (To all my Followers – Up to 7 at the last count!)

However, as a general indication of the existing culture, it appears that nothing happens unless a document is signed by three individuals, including letting someone leave the compound with one of the Charity’s motorcycles!

With my usual strategy of trying to streamline systems, I am trying to eliminate any pointless bureaucracy, whilst retaining those controls which are considered to be effective.

I did not come to Comboni with the intention of imposing any fixed model to run their business. Indeed, any changes involve a judgment as to what will make a positive improvement to their operations……And such judgement must involve the opinion from all concerned to be effective.

Therefore, I have needed to review the way the accounting processes have been operated, with the assistance of the Finance team. This has involved learning about the new accounting package they implemented last Summer, the relationships with a range of Donor Charities and how they manage the activities, financially and otherwise.

The Comboni Finance Team

Ultimately, my contribution here would be severely diminished if I am unable to transfer my review techniques to the local Management and Staff. I can suggest and introduce certain improvements whilst I am here, but they will need to continue the strategy on an ongoing basis to ensure effective improvements where needed.


As for the staff at Comboni, everybody has been incredibly friendly and supportive, though this appears to be very much the normal culture of Ugandans in general.

Such hospitality has applied equally to outside the workplace, an aspect which has to be critical for any volunteer. I had been worried before I arrived about how I would be spending the evenings and weekends, but those concerns have proved unfounded.

For anyone considering such a placement, never under-estimate the importance of the social side to make the most of your experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment