Friday 25 February 2011

A Decadent Lifestyle!

Since I've been in Uganda, I don't seem to have spent much money at all!

Not really much on offer to buy, apart from food and beer!

I had hoped to buy yet another African carving for the house - Yet I have yet to see any crafts on offer. Gulu is not exactly a thriving tourist magnet!

However, this weekend is my big treat - A trip to one of Uganda's Game Parks, Murchison Falls National Park.

Having been driven out here, along with one of the Finance team, my initial proposal was that we would all have dinner together. Whilst the other guys were staying at cheaper accommodation adjoining the lodge, we were informed that I was not allowed to eat with them at their place! I thought they were joking at first, but seems like a perverse apartheid policy!


However, to provide a humbling reminder of the wealth gap, I found that the price I'm paying for a night at my Safari Lodge is equivalent to a month's salary of the driver who brought me here - Hopefully, I will be able to sleep alright tonight in spite of this playing on my conscience.

A month's salary blown on a Single Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment