Tuesday 1 February 2011

Initial Thoughts!

This whole process started early last summer. I'd always wanted to do something really worthwhile for charity, beyond satisfying the conscience by donating to the well-hyped tidal waves of Red Nose Day and Children in Need. However, the usual demands and excuses of everyday life always seemed to put such ideas on the backburner....and they never came to fruition!

Nevertheless, I was in the very fortunate position that I had set up my own business specifically with the aim of creating more time for the family and personal projects. So, I would only really have myself to blame for not making these things happen!

I received a random e-mail out of the blue from AfID (Accounting for International Development), an organisation set up to place accountants into charities around the World. This concept was particularly geared towards voluntary placements for working accountants.

The freedom to choose my own charitable cause and the timing of my visit was perfect. First and foremost, the actual cause had to be very "hard-hitting". I certainly had no hesitation in supporting the Comboni Samaritans of Gulu, located in Northern Uganda.

Beyond what I've already read about the recent history of atrocities in the region, it really is difficult to comprehend the true extent of the suffering and trauma experienced by those communities. Obviously, we have our own concerns about personal safety and security here in the UK. However, could we imagine a situation of rogue militia forces sweeping through our own neighbourhoods, butchering most of the people, and hauling any surviving children off to a life of prostitution or soldiering?

THAT has been the reality of this particular region in Uganda.....Yet, from all accounts, the surviving, child-biased community appear to demonstrate remarkable strength and resilience. More than anything else, it is their hope for the future that has driven me to embark on this project.

I guess the overwhelming question would be: "What on Earth can be achieved by sending an accountant into the middle of Africa?" (Apart from the hope of him being eaten by a lion!).

Well, I can confirm that I have not volunteered to "get my hands dirty" by building schools or latrines!

My placement is very much in a professional capacity as an accountant, with two prime objectives as far as I see my role:

1)  To support and mentor the local Finance Team, including developing systems to make the management and control of the Charity's activities more effective; and
2)  To provide greater credibility to the Charity's UK Donors that their funding is truly hitting the intended targets, rather than ending up in some official's back-pocket (A widely held opinion of many in the UK).

It would be hard to dispute the worthiness of the underlying cause of the Charity. I see my role as one of support to ensure that the funding provided is being used effectively.

Finally, I have also endeavoured to promote my placement over the next month as a vehicle to raise additional funds for the Comboni Samaritans. I would like to thank all those who have kindly made a donation through my JustGiving account, but would welcome others to support the Charity likewise. Please spare a thought for the traumatised children of these communities and make a donation to the main UK Donor, the International Refugee Trust, via the following link:

 http://www.justgiving.com/Grahame-Woodward

Many, many thanks for your kind generosity,

Grahame

3 comments:

  1. "When I'm certain that I can't stand it, I go one moment more. And then I know, I can bear anything" said someone leaving Africa. Perhaps this was more appropriate for someone travelling to Africa.
    Still, be aware of the shootings, the grasshopper swarms and the lions. I hear they feed well on accountants (mainly the latter).

    Look forward to your reports from the beautiful hills of Northern Uganda.

    Stig
    Aalborg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grahame, How are you? hope things are going well - everything here is good usual stuff.

    all the best

    Ghazala

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi G

    Got your home email yesterday and glad to hear you now have a social life! G&Ts on the terrace....a spot of game hunting.....cocktails at 5...that sort of thing?

    I'm sure its slightly different. Understand that wifi is a bit hit and miss and so we are not sure if you are getting any of the emails the girls and I are sending?

    Thinking of you

    L, H and F XXX

    ReplyDelete