Monday 28 February 2011

It's a Jungle Out There!

What an absolutely amazing weekend!

One to drive home a true perspective on life, taking one from the “highs” to the “lows” within a short passage of time……

Having not lost any sleep from equating the cost of a night’s accommodation at the Game Park Lodge (After all, this was my “treat” after working so hard), we headed off on a game drive at sunrise.

I did not pitch my expectations too high on the basis that I had been fortunate enough to have been in several other game parks elsewhere in Africa – and Uganda certainly isn’t geared up for tourism!

Sound Advice - For Morons!
However, within the first hour, we had sighted a leopard and lions! These usually take a considerable amount of searching, even with an experienced ranger (and a degree of luck, though modern technology in the form of mobile phones can help to spread the word!).

The Law of the Jungle - Let's Invite a Friend to Dinner!
In addition to these prize “trophies”, we saw just about everything the park could offer (Elephants, Giraffes, Buffalo, Warthogs, Hippos, Baboons, and a whole range of antelopes and birds).

After the 4 hour drive, I was ready for a swim and chill-out time by the pool! All in readiness for……..

A 3 hour boat trip up the Nile river! Whilst the main event was to see the incredible Murchison Falls, it was amazing to see so much wildlife from the water, including the infamous Nile Crocodiles.

Just a Mother Trying to Protect her Eggs

Such a weekend can only emphasise the extremes of life – The sheer beauty of Nature, the harsh reality of Life & Death!

Yet, I was still quite unprepared for the emotional journey that awaited me…….

The exhilaration of watching wild animals in their natural habitat somehow did not compare to the “jungle” of emotions I was to endure last night……watching my team, Arsenal, take me on a proverbial “rollercoaster”….making me suffer at first, before raising my hopes……..Only to leave me in despair following a “give-away” goal in the final minutes of the Carling Cup Final!

Thus, the final “trophy” eluded me - Life can be so cruel!

No comments:

Post a Comment