Friday 4 March 2011

The Source of the Nile!

Historically, the mighty Nile has been a source of mystery and challenge to many famous British explorers…….Like Joanna Lumley!

Today, it was my turn to seek out the source of the Nile.

Throughout my assignment I had been intrigued as to where this great treasure came from……Ever since I made that momentous decision not to have my shirts laundered at the hotel for 2500 Ugandan Shillings – The same price as a bottle of “Nile Special” (A much better investment!)

I love a beer with a good head on it!

And I finally tracked the Brewery down to Jinja – Which incidently is the same place as the source of some river round here…….Or rather, this is what the Ugandan Tourist Office would have you believe.

Technically, Jinja is the venue of one of the sources of The Nile river, while neighbouring countries like Rwanda are able to make similar claims (and increase the official length of the river).

Whilst this stretch of river is amazingly scenic, you cannot actually see the source since the construction of a dam slightly downstream submerged the spot.

Therefore, visiting is more of a symbolic experience rather than physical (Like crossing the equator, without tripping).


The Source - A True Beauty Spot
Some Tourist Being Convinced this is the Exact Spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment