Thursday 3 March 2011

Final Day at Comboni!

I’ve just finished my final day at Comboni and formally brought the assignment to a completion.

This final week has seems to have flown by so quickly. I needed not only to finalise my formal report of findings and recommendations, but also present and discuss them with the key personnel at Comboni.

We should have held this completion meeting yesterday, but a trip into town with the Director dragged on and on…..and before we knew it, we’d lost most of the afternoon!

Fortunately, I was able to make my presentation this morning. Reflecting on its contents last night, I was worried in case it came across as too critical and might upset the Finance team. As such, I made sure that they were fully aware that the purpose of the report was to highlight areas of weakness where they could improve the charity’s control over activities…..and that all their positive strengths were to be taken as given.

I was to be overwhelmed by the extent of their appreciation as to my support.

Aol Florence Okech - Director of Comboni Samaritans

Many of the AfID volunteers are warned in advance of the difference in culture and attitudes they should expect – Be prepared to experience a fair degree of frustration!

However, the work plan has flowed reasonably well for me, and I have been more than pleased with the results achieved.

Admittedly, there were some obstacles along the way:

·                     Half the Finance team effectively disappeared during my first week (Looking after sick children or themselves)!
·                     Whilst I knew about the presidential election in advance, I hadn’t counted on losing 3 days (granted as public holidays)!

These proved minor disruptions to my progress!


And personally, I have had a great experience and a lot of fun in the process.


However, I have yet to fulfil my “Final Challenge”……

The mighty Nile River, the longest river in the World, begins its 6,500 mile journey from Uganda’s second city, Jinja.

That journey apparently starts with a vengeance……
Creating some pretty ferocious rapids and falls…..

Who could possibility be stupid enough to take a boat trip along this section of Grade 5 (The highest grading) rapids?

My main concern is whether I will be able to see much! I’ll certainly start off wearing contact lenses, but hate to think how long they will last….After that, I could be rafting “blind” as a mole!

Checking out Downstream Last weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment